Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Other Girl

The weirdest thing happened yesterday.

Another WWOOFer was supposed to show up yesterday, a girl from Switzerland, to stay for three weeks.  (WWOOF = world wide opportunities on organic farms, a kind of apprenticeship program for anyone interested in all things organic and farming.  The French WWOOFing website is how I found out about Bruno's studio.  I'm not a typical WWOOFer, since I'm not here for the gardening, but Bruno uses organic materials in his weaving, as far as I know.)  She had emailed with Kate, saying that she was interested in all kinds of alternative lifestyles, and she was planning on staying for three weeks, leaving on the same day as me.

Everyone else was busy when she got here, so I showed her around.  She was quiet, with goth-esque make-up and a lip piercing.  She drove a purple car and looked quite alterative, not so much organic.  But whatever.  I gave her the grand tour (all the time remembering how I felt my first few moments... oh how things have grown on me) and ended up back at the house.  I asked her if she needed help with her stuff and she said no.  She went to use the bathroom, and I was sitting on the grass doing my sewing thing when she came out and went straight to her car.  The next thing I knew, I heard the engine start, and by the time that registered and I looked up, she was driving away!  Heading for the hills! 

Was it something I said?

If it wasn't for the fact that Emmeric (a guy who lives in the yurt on the hill) saw her, too, I'd seriously be doubting my sanity.  Maybe she couldn't stand the composting toilet, though she said she'd used one before.  Maybe she saw the Bible on the bookshelf and the Book of Mormon on the kitchen table and decided we were *too* alternative.  Or maybe she forgot something and is driving back to Switzerland to get it..
Who knows.

I have to admit, though, I'm not entirely disappointed to have this place and these people all to myself for the next three weeks.  ♥

1 comment:

  1. Not everyone can live in the austere conditions that presented themselve to this young lady. It is one thing to think about them an another thing totally to acutally live in them, and to experience them physically. You on the other hand, see to beauty of the experience.

    ReplyDelete