Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spiders And Fairies

There was this huge spider hanging out on the wall when I sat down at the computer.  Huge.  Like 3-inch leg-span.  I've been coexisting with spiders very peacefully for the past five weeks, but this guy was scary-big.  I tried to breathe calmly and told myself that he was really no different than the other little ones, right?  And I'd look over and he'd still be there.  Looking even bigger than I remembered.

Bruno came in, and when I pointed out the spider he said, "Oh, I love spiders, don't you?"  When I stuttered my way around a "no, not exactly", he said, "But they are weavers, too!"  (Now I know why there are so many spider webs draped all over everything here.)  He came over and said, "This kind doesn't bite.  You can pick them up, see?"  And he reached out to the spider, which moved in that sudden way that spiders have, and I rolled over Bruno's toe with the office chair.  (Sorry about that, but what did you expect?)  The spider was scared, as Bruno was quick to point out, and quickly retreated back into the dark recesses of wood and stone and desk that makes up that corner.

Now I can't help but wonder what else lives inside these walls.  That giant spider lived here unnoticed by me for five weeks.  There might be hundreds of huge three-inch spiders.  Maybe even some five-inchers, though I'm not keen on that thought.

Heck, there might even be fairies.


1 comment: