Saturday, June 22, 2013

Random Language Thoughts


I've been speaking only French every day.  I don't know why it has been so easy to make myself do that here.  Different than on my mission or in Paris, when I would take off in English every time I had the chance, talking a mile a minute with the sheer joy of being able to say everything that came to my mind.  Maybe I just don't have the opportunity; other than Kate, I don't run into native English speakers much.  Maybe I just don't have much I want to communicate right now.  Maybe my feelings are simple and uncomplicated, or maybe they are so complicated that even English wouldn't suffice.  Maybe French is easy because of all the overlap with English.  I really couldn't tell you.  I just know that I still feel like myself. 

.........

Going to church last weekend was a bit of a culture shock because of all the English being spoken.  And French with different accents.  I remembered how much I really don't like American accents.  Happily, the next day, a visitor to the community asked me if I was German, because of my accent.  Somehow I've dodged the American accent bullet (except in English, which I don't mind).  Maybe I've inherited more from my grandmother than my figure.

.........

I don't love French.  It's just a way to say things.  It's got some cool sounds, some frustrating vowels.  I can't really explain my desire to learn more and more of it.  I just...want to.  I've started a little vocab notebook.  I'm at the stage of picking out words I don't understand from other people's conversations and asking about them later.  And it gives me such great satisfaction to recall words I know I know.  I like the feeling of gaining mastery and speaking ever more fluently.  I have an urge to perfect my French somehow, though that would take years, and I don't know if I will ever sound French like I was able to sound German.  And what the heck will I do with French?  Not a clue.
I just...want it.



No comments:

Post a Comment