Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Frederic Lazzarelli's Class

I just got back from my first Parisian ballet class!

It was stressful getting there because when I got to the front desk and asked for the class, the guy rattled instructions off in French, basically telling me to go in at another door, up some set of stairs, second floor, blah blah blah, very confusing, I only understood un petit peu.  I went up a bunch of stairs, past a bunch of dancers, up more stairs; I stood around in a overstimulated daze for a bit, as dancers swarmed around me in a rush of leotards and fast French.  I finally humbled myself and asked someone if she spoke English.  She pointed me in the right direction, but I ended up getting to class ten minutes late.  Frederic Lazzarelli scolded me for that as I walked in, and I clumsily unrolled this random plastic floor mat at the door.  I felt like a little girl being yelled at under the class' gaze.  But I hurried to the barre and fell in with everyone else, and soon Frederic Lazzarelli was smiling at me.  Phew!

His barre is very basic.  I missed the series of grand battements that Danny at Tufts would make us do, but the room was so full of people, there would likely be serious injuries if we tried those.  Space was quite an issue.  Floor work was fun--beautiful and elegant combinations, not too complicated, and some new stuff for me.  Frederic turned out to be really pleasant, joking around with the dancers and keeping things lighthearted.  He complemented me on my arabesque at the barre, and he made a point of noticing me as a new student, making eye contact, on and off the floor.  That is actually a really big motivator for me to come back.

Bottom Line:  I liked it, but I want to see what else is out there before I get too settled in*.  I'd like more space to move, in which case one of the smaller studios might be best.  But Frederic is a fun teacher.

Oh!  and P.S. the class totally cost 20 euro when it is advertised on the website as 18!  Either Frederic is totally cheating or the website needs updating...

*Haha, that sounds like a mormon boy looking for a wife!  Haha!   ...   Well, I thought it was funny.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for this review! I just did my first class with him and had practically the same impression (not to mention the 20 Euro lol) :)

    ReplyDelete