Friday, June 22, 2012

Four Posts in a Day? What am I Doing??

I really need direction in my life.  Otherwise I start feeling useless, and then I start making things up to feel useful doing.  And THEN if I don't do them, I start feeling like a loser without drive or commitment or accomplishments.  And I start filling my time with mindless prattle.  Like posting to my blog four times a day.  Or eating smoked salmon sandwiches and Haagen-Dazs ice cream at 10:30 at night.

For example, I am in Paris.  I have a job to do: take care of baby.  When my job is done for the day, I amuse myself by learning French.  And...that's it.  I have nothing else to accomplish.  No other goals, no friends to distract me.  So, by virtue of my mental makeup, French is now my obsession, and I am sucking at it.  I mean, I'm not.  I'm actually doing great, for three weeks of learning.  But...but...  For every simple conversation I can carry on in French, there are fifteen others that I can't follow.  For every word I learn there are about a MILLION others that I will never know.  And feeling discouraged isn't really the problem; after all, I'm only here for three months.  I won't be fluent by September.  But I want to feel like I'm a part of this place, at least by virtue of my blood, sweat, and tears.  I want to belong here somehow; I want to feel like Paris wants me here.  Does that make sense?

Bah!  I hate feeling stressed out about something that I'm doing for fun.  I am such an obsessive person.  If escaping Boston has helped erase some former obsessions from my mind (ahem), it has only made my psyche cast its metaphorical gaze about for some other goal to fixate on.

I am such a nutcase.
I may have to take a sabbatical from the internet, just to refocus myself.
Except the internet has the best language dictionaries.
And how will I skype without skype?
And I need to organize my ride for the beach trip next weekend...
And...

I'll probably feel better in the morning.  Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. I OFTEN CHASE MY LIFE AND WHERE IT IS I FEEL I SHOULD BE AND WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING AND WHAT I SHOULD MAKE OF MY FUTURE...A LADY I MAKE PAINT FOR GAVE ME A DEVOTIONAL BOOK AND A COUPLE OF RECENT PASSAGES WERE POWERFUL TO ME..."YOU ARE MY BELOVED CHILD. I CHOSE YOU BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD, TO WALK WITH ME ALONG PATHS DESIGNED UNIQUELY FOR YOU. CONCENTRATE ON KEEPING IN STEP WITH ME, INSTEAD OF TRYING TO ANTICIPATE MY PLANS FOR YOU. IF YOU TRUST THAT MY PLANS ARE TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU, YOU CAN RELAX AND ENJOY THE PRESENT MOMENT"... ANOTHER ONE THAT STRUCK ME REGARDING THE SAME THOUGHTS IS "GLORIFYING AND ENJOYING ME IS A HIGHER PRIORITY THAN MAINTAINING A TIDY STRUCTURED LIFE. GIVE UP YOUR STRIVING TO KEEP EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL - AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK AND A WASTE OF PRECIOUS ENERGY..LET ME PREPARE YOU FOR THYE DAY THAT AWAITS YOU AND POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION" I JUST THOUGHT THESE WORDS REMINDED ME TO LIVE IN THE PRESENT...AND AS U, MAMACITA ALWAYS IS CLOSE TO MY HEART AND SHE SAID TO ME "REMEMBER LIFE IS A REALITY TO BE LIVED NOT A PUZZLE TO BE SOLVED" :-) WISE WORDS FROM MAMACITA! I LOVE YOU ALEXANDRA!! RELAX, ENJOY YOUR ENVIRONMENT AND BASK IN YOUR PEACEFULNESS!! DONT FORGET TO GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS SO ME AND JAKE CAN WRITE YOU!! XOXOXOXO LOVE YOUR SISTER, EVAMARIE

    ReplyDelete