Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Delicious Day

A friend of mine from Pennsic, Amanda, was in town, so we did some touristy things.  And along with seeing the Eiffel Tower (which is big) and the Arc de Triomphe (which is in the middle of a huge traffic circle), we decided to go to dinner at a French food place.  And that is where, for the first time in my life, I ate snails.  Here they are before I ate them:
And here they are after I ate them:
I know, the two pics look basically the same, except if you look closely at some of the shells in the bottom picture, they aren't as dark in their little openings as some of the ones in the top picture.  That is because I pulled out their little black bodies from their beds, all drenched in garlic and oil, and I ATE them!  And they were delicious.  

I also ate duck tonight, but that is not nearly so adventurous.  Some of you may recall that I have before feasted on duck TONGUE, though feasted may not be quite accurate.  "Nibbled" may be better since there isn't much meat on a tongue, especially a duck's.  I must say that though duck tongue was interesting, duck leg and thigh poached in it's own fat (duck confit) was much tastier and more filling.

For dessert I bought a HUGE pink meringue at the bakery on the corner by my house, about the size of a loaf of bread!  And surprise surprise, it was strawberry flavored.  How delicious.

Today was culinarily good.  Good also in other ways, but exceptional in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment