Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Brief French Composition

I have been working on conjugating a list of "essential verbs" in five tenses.  I will here present my very first composition written entirely in French, using seven of these verbs.
Ahem.

Le petit chat se demandait, "Pourquoi est le ciel azur?  Pourquoi ont les chats moustaches?  Et pourquoi suis-je si petit?"  Il admirait le chien, parse que le chien était vieux et parse que il assistait toujours a la conference de animaux.   Donc le chat allait a le chien afin de demander lui ses questions.  Il arrivait chez le chien et le chien permettait que il demandait ses questions.  Le chien était vieux et sage et il répondait, "Je conseille que tu acceptes le monde et te vie.  Cela est ma réponse."  Et le petit chat rentrait chez lui.

Voila!
Feel free to correct me if you can see any mistakes!  Content, of course, is not the point.  I don't think I even agree with my own moral.  There just isn't that much you can do with seven verbs and a limited vocabulary.  Plus I told myself I had to write this today before I went out to play, and I'm antsy.  Now I'm out of here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alexandra!! I'm glad you're having a great time, it's really fun to read about your journeys so far :) I'm ridiculously impressed with how good your French writing is, did you really only just start learning for the trip?? I have a love of editing and I noticed a couple things if it helps...you can't have a word ending in a vowel next to one beginning in a vowel in French without changing something, so que il is qu'il, it's called a liaison. Also with plurals the article before the word also has to be plural (des animaux). And it's ta vie (mon, ton, son vs. me, te, se). Hope you have a fabulous adventure, so much crazy stuff is going to happen, I wish you all the best!! Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thanks so much for the corrections! I was vaguely aware of those rules, I just didn't think to apply them, so I'm really glad you pointed them out. And yes, I just started learning French two weeks ago :D It is dizzying! My Parisian adventure is pretty whirlwind and t'will continue to be great (<--an english "liaison" right there. Those T's and W's just can't get enough of each other). I wish YOU all the best with the wedding and such! Alexandra

      Delete