Monday, July 9, 2012

What A Morning!

At 4am this morning, I woke up to the sound of Sophie screaming at the top of her lungs, not an "I'm angry!" cry, but a distress signal.  I got out of bed, put on my robe and came out of my room just in time to see Dai, Liz, and a screaming Sophie walk out the door.  They told me they were headed to the hospital, since Sophie had a crazy high fever and was inconsolable.  They'd call me to keep me posted.

I got back in bed and prayed really hard that she was ok, that she would be fine.  I worried that it was my fault that she was sick, since I was babysitting and put her to bed the night before and zipped her into her sleep-sack, which her mom later said, when they got home, she wasn't using anymore.  Maybe I overheated her, and now she's going to be seriously ill!  I eventually fell back asleep and dreamed about an infant boy that I was nannying and who I had to take to the hospital.  My dreamself isn't very subtle.  Like, ever, if you haven't noticed.

Luckily, I woke up again to Sophie fussing at 6:30ish.  They had come back from the hospital, Sophie was regular sick, but otherwise fine, and they were trying to get her to fall back asleep so they could all get more rest.

When I got up again at 9:00, Sophie and Liz were both up and doing normal morning things.  Liz told me that she had taken the sleep-sack off the night before, after I told her I had put it on, so it wasn't my fault.  Sophie had woken up at 1am and thrown up.  They had given her a bath and taken her temp (103!) and she had fallen back asleep, but when she woke up again at 4, they couldn't calm her down, so they went to the children's ER.  Other than a sore throat, there was nothing else wrong with her, so good.

Parents went to bed while I took Sophie for an errand walk.  Sophie is super tired, and still had that temperature when the baby Tylenol wore off, but she took her next dose, ate a pretty good lunch, and went to sleep.

Phew.  What a morning!  And I wasn't even involved in the wee hours!  Let's hope Sophie gets better quickly, and everything goes back to normal soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment