Monday, July 2, 2012

The Pregnant Saint: An episode of French trouble

So we were all eating dinner around the table.  All of us being the people I camped with at Normandie. And Claire, who had cooked everything beforehand and brought out the food, got up to refill a water pitcher when someone looked around for some water.  I said, in French, "Claire's a saint!"  She looked slightly horrified for a moment but wasn't sure who's voice had rung out above the din.  When she went to the kitchen with the pitcher, the guy beside me, who had burst out laughing, asked me what I had said.  "A Saint;" I said, "une sainte."  Turns out that the way I had pronounced "une sainte" was entirely wrong and sounded like "enceinte".  Yup, I had just called out that my good friend Claire was pregnant.  No wonder she was shocked.  This was, perhaps, the worst language mixup I have ever experienced.  And also the funniest.  I'm looking on the bright side, though:  I saw this billboard in the Metro last night, and now I know what it says!
"Come now, is that any way to look at a pregnant lady?"

No comments:

Post a Comment