Saturday, July 28, 2012

Macaroon Taste Testing

I decided to buy some mini macaroons today from a very prestigious shop called Laduree.
They were 1.70 each, so I only got five, and I decided to taste test some unique flavors.  Here, for example we have:
Lime Basil.....Violet Marshmallow.....Liquorish.....Salty Caramel.....Strawberry Poppy 
Pretty, huh?  I think the colors are the main reason macaroons are getting so famous.  As you can see, I have already tasted them.  I was sitting on the bank of the Seine with one very new friend and one fairly new friend.  I took a bit of each and put them back in the bag, which accounts for their slightly squished appearance.  I am now going to finish them and I will tell you about the experience as I go.  Ready?  From left to right.

Lime Basil.
very fresh tasting.  you can feel an herb in it, but it is not readily apparent that it is basil.  the lime adds some lovely tartness to it.  some sunshine.  yum.  
Violet Marshmallow.
spongier than the last one.  tastes like a berry, but i suppose berries come from flowers so that makes sense.  nice and sweet, calming.
Liquorish.
loose, like a cookie already dipped in milk.  i'm getting a vaguely butterscotch flavor from the filling...ah here comes the liquorish on the back of the tongue, like anise usually does.  very subtle.  maybe too subtle?
Salty Caramel.
chewy consistency, the salt assaults you a second before the sweet does and stays behind on the tongue as they battle for supremacy.  exciting!
Strawberry Poppy.
strawberry hits hard at first, but a nutty flavor follows quickly after.  very much like jam on wheat toast.  a bit typical.

I typed most of that right-handed as I took little bites, so you have all joined me for a brief moment of sensory experience!  I should write macaroon reviews.  Don't you think I have a unique way with words?  Maybe later I will treat you all to a proxy taste of "Orange Blossom" or "Rose Petal" or "Lemon Lime Marshmallow"!

No comments:

Post a Comment