Saturday, July 28, 2012

Finds At The Flea Market

I found two great things that I really want to buy but can't.
Robe a l'anglaise

The curtain I want to buy.
Problem:  it was selling for
250 Euros!!
One is a curtain made of lovely antique cotton, block printed and looking like something from the 1780s.  The curtain is huge and made up of three long lengths of selvedge to selvedge pieces, appropriately narrow for the time period.  I think there is enough to make a round gown or a robe a l'anglaise and oh my oh my do I want to buy it and make one!

Next, I found a bodice from the 19teens that is in really good condition!  It has so many layers and lace and net and satin and velvet, and I just want to study it inside and out and replicate it!  I'm not sure is the skirt behind it goes with it, but that is lovely and simple as well.  The bodice has some tears in the silk, so the woman was looking to sell it for 80 Euro, which I thought was a good deal.  Liz says I could get her down to 60 if I tried haggling.  Maybe I'll send Liz in there for me.




Perhaps the most interesting thing I saw at the Marche aux Puces, however, was this bell jar of baby body parts:

What a fascinating place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment