Thursday, July 12, 2012

Observations On The Many Qualities Of Mousse

I have made mousse here quite a few times and each time has been different.  The first time was a bit too sweet for my taste.  So instead of 2/3 cup sugar (ish--I have no measuring implements), I put in about a 1/4 cup the second time.  Now the sweetness to chocolate ratio was perfect, but the mousse manifested an interesting texture division, with the chewier stuff at the top and the fluffier stuff on the bottom.  So I tried again, deciding that I needed to beat the eggs a bit more so that there wouldn't be any fluffy stuff to settle to the bottom.  But this time, I only had about 110g of butter instead of 170, so I used 3 eggs instead of 4.  I also minimized the sugar drastically, since the French recipe on the chocolate wrapper doesn't use ANY sugar at all, and I wanted to see how sweet I like it.  It turned out quite bitter, and I think I like attempt #2's amount of sweetening best.  I did beat the eggs more, which did turn out a consistent consistency, but the consistency is consistently light.  Like a cloud.  I think the 3 eggs was a tad more egg than the 110g of butter and chocolate needed.  I like it chewier.
So.  Next time I will make sure to err more on the side of more chocolate than less, and a medium amount of sugar, and well-beaten eggs.
This is pretty fun, and my mousse making is getting super fast and easy!  I have a delicious future...

No comments:

Post a Comment