Friday, July 27, 2012

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!! Online!!

The Internet is not the free and open place I thought it was.
Zoom in...
What?  What's wrong with France?  

Here I am, trying to find a nostalgic Mister Roger's Neighborhood episode (Season 17, Episode 5, the one where they unlock a hitherto unopened door in the Museum-Go-Round and find...something magical that I don't remember), and I am stopped in my tracks only because I am currently sitting in a place called France.  I thought the internet transcended mortal boundaries!  
Turns out I was wrong.  So wrong.  I can't watch Netflix because France doesn't have Netflix yet.  I can't use my debit card online because my IP address is French!  (I can't use my debit card at all, but that is another problem.) 

Arise, Lovers of Liberty!   Stand and Fight for a Just Cause!
Let us tear apart these Metaphysical Walls that keep our Brethren in Servitude and Ignorance!
Down with the Tyrants who Oppress the Free Flow of Knowledge, Entertainment, and Consumerism!
We shall see a New Day dawn for all Nations, Kindreds, Tongues, and People!

And will someone please put Mister Rogers on Youtube!!

P.S. I decided to lie to the internet and tell them that no matter what my IP address suggests, I'm actually in the US.  Turns out the only correct answers are "US" or "UK".  Why?  That seems so arbitrary.  I mean, what about Canada?  
The internet believes me (suckers!), but in the end, the site doesn't even have Season 17.  Thwarted once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment