Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A French Gentleman

This evening Dai and Sophie and I went to the corner store to get some flour and honey.  I was pushing Sophie in the stroller, and Dai was walking along beside.  Monoprix, the general store we were going to, has an upstairs for all kinds of toiletries, clothes, household items, and a downstairs for all the food.  It is very inconvenient for a stroller, but I'm used to picking it up with Sophie in it, and besides Dai was there to help carry it down.

We walked in the front door and headed straight for the stairs.  I paused for a moment to let a young man up the stairs, and I suppose Dai was far enough behind me to look like we weren't walking in together, because this young man (a very handsome mid-twenties-looking young man) offered to help me carry down the stroller.  Out of habit and also because I don't know how to refuse offers of gentlemanly kindness, even when I'm walking with the gentleman to whom the baby is attached, I said "Merci".  And he helped me get the stroller all the way down the stairs, with Dai trailing slightly awkwardly and quite amused behind me.

I said thanks to the young gentleman who continued up the stairs again as Dai caught up to us.  We walked into the aisle, and I couldn't help smiling a bit triumphantly as Dai commented wryly, "I guess no self-respecting young frenchman would pass up that opportunity."  ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment