Thursday, May 3, 2018

The Smell In My House Right Now...

...is divine. 

I bought a couple little loaves of fresh bread when we first got here, but we didn't get around to eating them all, so I took the dried up loaf I had left over and I'm making Pappa Al Pomodoro, a bread soup I learned back when I was studying in Florence, like, 12 years ago.  Basically you break up the hard bread and put it in a soup pot.  Add peeled and stewed canned tomatoes, chopped garlic, a bullion cube, plenty of olive oil, fresh basil, and water to cover the bread chunks.  Then cook it over a low heat, stirring frequently, until the bread has dissolved and the garlic is "cooked", as my cooking teacher said.  I had forgotten what amazingness is fresh basil, and my whole apartment smells like comfort right now. <3 <3 <3




In other news, I made some friends today!  The neighbors we are borrowing internet from are super nice, and while the American guy works all day, his wife, a woman from Thailand is around to hang out with.  I knocked on her door today, to ask if she wanted to go to the store with me and show me the bakery they were raving about last night.  She had a Thai friend visiting who was just about to walk home, so we all walked out together.  On the way, they got a call from another Thai friend who invited us all over to her house for homemade Thai food for lunch!  YES PLEASE!  There was green papaya salad (with a complex spicy sauce made in a mortar with pestle) and an onion omelet with rice.  They were all so sweet to include me!


I was the youngest one here.  By three years.  Can You Believe That?!?!?  These ladies look so good!  Beautiful.
The girl with the long hair in the middle did the cooking.  Turns out she's an EFM too!



Afterwards Poy (my neighbor) showed me this bakery called Esperanza, or Hope.  As in, Hope that you don't get fat.  Because this place was full to bursting with beautiful cakes, pastries and breads!  Even giant American-style cookies.  *Heaven*  I'm not super into super sweet stuff at the moment, but I bought a concha and a cream-filled stick thing.  They are pretty yum :)

Miscellaneous Info:

Books that I have read since the flight:
Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett)
Warbreaker (Brandon Sanderson)
Make Trouble (Cecil Richard)
Dragon Weather (Lawrence Watt-Evans)
The Court of the Stone Children (Eleanor Cameron)
Books in progress:
A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine LÉngle)
Team of Rivals (Doris Kearns Goodwin)
American Gods (Neil Gaiman)

I fixed my dryer (which was taking all day to dry clothes) by finally finding the lint trap and emptying it of what seemed like a year of lint.  Because I'm just that good.  Slash, it was Poy's idea ^^

Also, while I was having amazing Thai food, I completely forgot that I had signed up to feed the missionaries for lunch ><  Oh I felt awful!!!  I'm going to have to bring them a treat on Sunday to make up for it... Not a great first impression. 

Oh but I am also going to be taking piano lessons.  Because it appears that no one at church plays the piano and I can read music so its like I'm half-way there!  :D  And Nan, one of the Thai ladies, knows a piano teacher and she put me in contact with him already!  Life-changing moments all day.

That's all!  Now I can't wait til my hardworking husband comes home and I can take care of him (and feed him yummy treats).  He's been thrown into the deep end with this new position and he's stressed out, but I know that he is doing such a good job! 

Tahtah.

No comments:

Post a Comment