Monday, September 24, 2012

September 24th

This day is momentous.  It is a year since something big and breathtaking and irreversable happened in my life.  I'm not going to tell you about it, but I will say that the heavens worked really hard to bring me to today from last year.  And they even gave me a bonus surprise.  Today was the day Sofia and I reached the iron cross at the highest point of the Camino.  It is there that people drop a rock onto a huge pile, leaving behind a burden, perhaps, or adding a bit of weight to the eternal scales in their favor.  I wanted to leave behind the past year for good, and to that end, Sofia had brought me a rock from home that I could drop at the foot of the cross.  I've been carrying it this whole way in my first aid ziplock baggie. 
Turns out my first aid ziplock baggie had a hole in it. 
And my rock was lost. 

I climbed the pile of debris at the cross this afternoon, rockless, thinking about what in the world this moment meant.  And I figured it out.

I've been carrying a burden of pain and hurt and anger.  But somewhere along the way, I dropped it.  And I don't need to elaborately leave it anywhere special.  I just need to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment