Monday, September 10, 2012

The Foot Doctor

Have I mentioned that this hostel is amazing?  They have a resident volunteer foot doctor who sits and pops blisters and diagnoses people's foot problems all afternoon!  Sofia and I stopped by to see him when he was technically done, but he was nice and helped us anyway.

My main foot problem is a swollen heel tendon.  He pinched it, and I yelped.  He pushed on the skin of my arch and showed me how dehydrated I am (very).  He told me to not use the top lacing holes of my boots, to rub in anti-inflammatory cream and swallow ibuprofin three times every day, and also to drink approximately 4 times the water that I normally do.  Apparently, the more water I drink, the more flexible and pliant become my tendons and muscles and ligaments and the less stress they experience as I walk.  Whodda thunk?

In addition to foot advice, he popped blisters on both of our feet and taped them up.  He is a wizard, an artist, with medical tape!  He used a lighter to heat up the sticky side of the tape because that makes it stick better.  He was amazing.  And he didn't take our donation.

Later, he found us in the courtyard, talking to some friends.  He had brought us some Spanish hot peppers to try, saying that they would revive us on the walk if we ever felt super tired.  I tasted the tip of one, and it was certainly shocking.  The half-eaten tiny pepper is now tucked in my fanny pack.  I plan on drinking the whole day without pause.  And also using cream and pills.  Sofia has to drink more, too, and keep her feet dryer because she sweats from her feet more.  Doctor's orders.

p.s. i hope it doesn't bother you that on the one day that i have relatively unlimited computer access all i talk about is my feet.  it's a pilgrim thing.  what can i say?

No comments:

Post a Comment