Monday, October 1, 2012

Moderation

Sofia and I are an...interesting team, never on the same page.  

Sometimes it goes like this:
S:  Alexandra, lets just hitchhike into (name that city).  or Alexandra, why don't we take a bus down the mountain?  Why in the world should we have to walk downhill if we can help it?  
A:  Nope.

Sometimes it goes like this:
S:  Alexandra, we should get another 13km in today!  We can get to (such and such a city) and stay there!  Its only 4 o'clock; we totally have time, and I feel like I could go forever!
A:  Nope.  

Well, actually, it is never that simple.  There is generally a lot of whining, hand-waving, and loud exclamations of frustration on both sides, punctuated with incredulous laughter and even grunts.  Sofia accuses me of being stubborn, and I just ride that wave because it's true.  One evening outside of a bar, we debated the wisdom of trying to make it to the bottom of a mountain before dark, and I swear all of the other pilgrims were watching us in mild horror at the loud American drama unfolding before their eyes.  

All I have to say is that I am happy in the middle.  I am walking the Camino.  That means I want to walk all of it--no cheating or cutting corners.  It means that I am not running the Camino.  20-25 km a day is entirely enough for me.  Sofia swings wildly from one extreme to the other.  I don't know how she does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment