Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Petty Theft

I stole a shower today.  I would feel more ashamed if I didn't feel so wonderfully refreshed.

This last stage of the Camino is odd in that there are so few albergues.  Here, in Arca, there is one, and then in another 15 km (about 5 km from Santiago) there is another one.  In between are a few hostels, but those rooms go for 45 Euro a piece (there is no way)!  Now, this albergue shortage wouldn't be too much of a problem except for one thing:
We would like to get to Santiago in time for the noon pilgrim's mass, preferably with some time to spare.  We have only 20 km to go (about 4 hours walking time),  but we aren't really early risers, so we want to cut into those 20 km tonight.  If we walk another five km, there will be no albergues.  We can easily find a spot to camp, but we needed to use the internet and I really wanted a shower (it has been three days since my last one, and I would like to walk into the ancient pilgrim cathedral clean.  Or relatively so).

Our solution?  We have been hanging out at a cafe with a computer.  I left my bags here and walked into the albergue next door as if I had already checked in.  Then, I took a shower.  I just took it.
It was amazing.
Hot.
Lots of water.
Lots of water pressure.
I don't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment