Saturday, October 6, 2012

Spanish Food Sucks

I have decided that I really don't like Spanish food.  This opinion may be influenced by the fact that I have been sick to my stomach for a week or so, or that pilgrims subsist mainly on bar food, but I maintain that Spanish cuisine is boring.  Tortillas were delightful at first, and I am looking forward to making some at home, but my upteenth slice pushed me over the edge.  Baked goods are only tempting-looking.  By the time you bite into them, the flavor goes bland.  Bocadillos, or sandwiches, are too dry and too crunchy and stingily layered with too-twangy cheeses and cured-to-within-an-inch-of-it's-life ham.  French fries are thick and oily.  Salads are run-of-the-mill.  Even candy doesn't taste like I think it should!

I found myself the other day craving American food.  That is a traveling first for me.  In all my voyages, I have always enjoyed local eating, but suddenly, all I wanted was mac and cheese from my mother's kitchen.  All I wanted was a moist and perfectly sweet cupcake like my old roommate, Kenzie, used to make.  All I wanted was something familiar!  Something served at a regular time!  Something that I could eat with usual gusto!! 

All I found were some oreos, but without milk, they crumbled like dust in my mouth. 


Exception:
The morning after arriving in Santiago, I had a most fulfilling breakfast.  I ordered two fried eggs (no french fries, please) and bacon.  And I had some hot chocolate (thick, melted-chocolate-bar style).  And it tasted like home.  Well, the eggs and bacon did.  And I was perfectly happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment