Wednesday, October 3, 2012

This Is It

Tomorrow we are walking into Santiago de Compestella.  Weird.
We've been walking for 33 days today.  That's a long time.

Sofia asked me today what I'm thinking about the end, but "weird" is about all I came up with.  Like with most of my adventures, I have some sort of ambivalent buffer.  The end is coming, but that's what usually happens with adventures.  I do have a vague sense of having felt very at home here, on the Way.  I tend to call a place "home" fairly quickly.  And even though the Camino isn't one place, it is a string of places all connected by one way of life.  The path is even populated with a huge migrating village of people.  Surrogate moms and dads, grandpas and grandmas, boistrous uncles that dote on you...  I've really liked living here.

Sigh.  And now I'm getting kicked out of the house.  I've come to the end of the line.  I rack my brain, trying to pick out some bit of spiritual enlightenment I've gleaned along the way, but I can't think of anything.  *shrug*  Oh well.  I am okay with that.  I'm sure there are plenty of morals to this story that I can't see right now, and I don't want to mess them up by making up my own.

In the mean time, I think Santiago will be beautiful, I can't wait to see the End of the World, and I really need a shave.

1 comment:

  1. I've kept my keyboard away until you finally arrived there... it seems that this experience have been very interesting for your spiritual and personal life.
    I just want to share with you what I think should be called "home" while you are wondering about that.
    In my opinion:

    "peoples belong/are from to the place they feel good"

    So yes it seems that "El camino" has been your place for while.

    See ya soon.

    One of your french friend.
    (wondering if you'll find which one)

    ReplyDelete