Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Positive Chinese 'Speaking' Experience

The other day I saw an adorable cat. 
She was on a leash in one of the sidewalk-side one-room shops.  See her in the middle?  Standing on all the packages on the counter?  I couldn't resist that craning little head.  I went up and let her smell my fingers and she was friendly so I petted her--she was so little with HUGE yellow-gold eyes! So cute!!  Her owner was sitting out of sight behind the counter.  What followed then was what I would call a successful conversation!  I called his cat "hen piaoliang" (very pretty) and *even* asked him if it was a male or female ("nu-de, nan-de?").  And he told me she was a she.  That was it.  She nibbled on my fingers a bit, he scolded her, I shrugged because I figured that meant she liked me.  Then I said thanks and left. 

Tah dah!  My language attempts have not been entirely futile! 
^^

No comments:

Post a Comment