Friday, July 5, 2013

Je Peux Faire De La Voile Sans Vent

We said goodbye tonight.  But first, background story:

I hurt my back today.  I pulled a muscle right under my left shoulder blade while weaving, I think.  Kate massaged it after lunch, but in the evening I finished my weaving.  I couldn't very well not finish, now, could I?  My back is of another opinion, unfortunately.  Kate massaged it again with a healing oil and Bruno gave me those homeopathic pills as I was lying immobile on the floor.  Breathing too deeply triggers a pretty horrid spasm.  Crying, too, it turns out.

We all spoke and Bruno cried.  We all cried.  And Sebastien sang this song:

 

Qui peut faire de la voile sans vent?                      Who can fill a sail without wind?
Qui peut ramer sans rame?                                     Who can row without an oar?
Et qui peut quitter son ami                                     And who can take leave of a friend
Sans verser de larmes?                                           Without tears?

Je peux faire de la voile sans vent                          I can fill a sail without wind.
Je peux ramer sans rame                                         I can row without an oar.
Mais ne peux quitter mon ami                               But I cannot take leave of my friend
Sans verser de larmes                                             Without tears.

Qui peut faire du pain sans levain?                        Who can make bread without leaven?
Qui peut faire du vin sans raisin?                           Who can make wine without grapes?
Et qui peut quitter son ami                                     And who can take leave of a friend
Sans verser de larmes?                                           Without tears?
             
Je peux faire du pain sans levain                            I can make bread without leaven.
Je peux faire du vin sans raisin                               I can make wine without grapes.
Mais ne peux quitter mon ami,                               But I cannot take leave of my friend
Sans verser de larmes                                              Without tears.

The rest is too special for the internet.
I'm off at 8:30 am tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I know I can figure out how to play this. The melody is so lovely. I know you left your heart there.

    ReplyDelete