Thursday, March 24, 2011

from Amsterdam, over the Alps, across the sea, to the Holy City

While GoogleMaps won't show me a walking path from Amsterdam to Jerusalem, it will get me at least to Venice, which is as far as I'm planning on walking.  Apparently it will only take me 9 days and 20 hours to get there!!  wow, Europe is small!  If I drove, it would only take me 12 hours.  So, a total of 236 hours of walking, divided by a minimum of 12 miles a day (we could take it easy) equals just under 20 days.  Easypeasy!

Of course, I don't want to be walking on the edge of the highway the whole way, so I looked up hiking trails in Wiki and found out that there are ELEVEN different Long Distance Walking Trails that crisscross Europe.  I could follow a chunk of E8 out of the Netherlands, pick up E1 to the border of Germany and Austria, and then take E5 over the Alps!  Wiki even says that you don't need to be an experienced hiker to do that section of the mountains, and really, who am I to argue with Wiki? 

3 comments:

  1. Well Alexandra, looks like you have made up your mind so let me make a couple of suggestions that would if nothing else ease you Father's mind.

    You should have a small GPS unit, which would help you understand where you are and also help someone track where you are.

    I would suggest that you have at least 6 cans of MACE!

    You should establish check points along your route where you could leave supplies, stash cash, have emergency supplies, and leave messages for those tracking your progress.

    Have emergency contact information for those tracking you and for yourself as well, this information should be at your check points as well.

    You should travel with a minimum of 4 people, there is safety in numbers.

    Keep a photo journal, which you could drop off at your check points. and resupply patters and camera's if needed at those same check points.

    Any way just some ideas fro your dear old DAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandra, did this work, for an old guy, this new technology is a little scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting Dad! It worked!!! I have to check if mace is legal in Europe, but that is a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete