Wednesday, May 29, 2013

On The Road Again

On Sunday, I left my daddy at Schipol in an unexpectedly tender moment.  I suddenly didn't want to leave him all alone, standing in the check-in line, not sure of what to do..  (I was all alone, too, but I'm more used to it.)  Thanks, Daddy, for a great two weeks in the Netherlands!!!  We finally made it, and it was good :)  I love you.



As I walked away, I felt a familiar change as I put on my alone self (or shed my social self?).  It is the moment when I stop bouncing energy off of a companion and start cycling it inward.  I stand a little straighter, or at least I notice my posture more.  I start to generate positive feelings of independence and competence.  I also start to mutter to myself.  Things like "platform 4, platform 4" or "where do I go from here?" and sometimes "that was dumb, Alexandra; you are so weird."*

I've never been in the Schipol train station before, but I found my way just fine.  I used to dream of the day when I would feel comfortable in foreign places.  In my early traveling days I would get so nervous before a trip that I couldn't eat and my whole body would shiver in anticipation.  This Sunday morning, however, I felt fine.  I ate a ton of breakfast with Hans and Marloes.  I trusted the signs, I asked for directions in the right language, I got on a train, and it took me to Paris.  Voila.

As the train carried me towards francophone regions, I found myself muttering French words and phrases along with the normal way-finding stuff.  "Je ne suis pas d'ici" and "C'est le meme chose".  I think my brain was gearing up and dusting off my old favorite sentences--the ones that sounded fluent even when I wasn't.  Taking the Metro across Paris and trying to evesdrop reminded me that I am definitely NOT fluent (still and anymore), but I was greatly encouraged by the mental exercises my mind was making up.  I can always count on my subconscious for a healthy dose of "I can totally handle this" just before the going gets rough.



Tune in next time for: A Brave New World, in which I need to be brave as I discover what I've gotten myself into...



*anyone else do that?  or am I just...weird?

2 comments:

  1. You're an amazing person. To say that though is like holding a candle to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reprimand myself for talking to myself all the time. I think it's an unconscious sanity survival tactic of solitary travellers.

    ReplyDelete